Gardens Founded in 2001 - Home in 2002
The garden crew is active from April-October and sometimes in November weather permitting. Work happens weekly throughout the garden season on Monday and Thursday mornings from 8:00 am-12:00 pm. It also is scheduled for one Saturday a month from April through October. Cancellations due to weather will be posted by 6:00 am of the workday on this blog. You must attend a spring orientation to the garden and Northland Hospice & Palliative Care in order to work. A summary of the work that has been done is included on the blog. Look for weekly postings on this blog during the garden season.
Volunteering in the Garden
April 13, 11:30-1:30 Lunch and orientation for new volunteers at hospice and TB testing for all
April 16, 9:15-10 TB tests read and 10:00 garden orientation. First Thursday workday 9-12
April 20, First Monday workday 9-12
May 2, Saturday workday 9-12
If you are interested in volunteering, please email CrysWells@gmail.com.
Please note: TB testing is required annually for all garden volunteers.
If you have current TB results that were done by a physician or at a hospital, these may be submitted to Northland Hospice.
If you are unable to attend the meeting, please contact the volunteer coordinator Kathy Simmons (email@example.com) to schedule a time for testing and orientation.
Sunday, March 18, 2012
3rd Planning Meeting Agenda 3/20/12
March 20, 2012 8am-12pm
b. FUTS trail update
c. Watering indoors
d. Tulip bulbs
e. Plant tags
f. Signing in update
e. Container Gardening class – Saturday, May 19 – 9am-12pm
f. Goals for 2012
1. Plant seedlings in the spring in the newly fitted greenhouse. Plant more jobs tears, herbs, veggies. Add a tile floor?
Planted seeds at home. Will move to greenhouse in April when we begin to empty it and the weather warms. Will also share CSA plants.
2. Set up new chair swing – enlarge pad in back of home. Do we want it in front of the home?
The chair swing will be placed in back of the house. David needs to enlarge the pad first and then the swing will have to be assembled. Kellie and Loni will come up with a caution sign.
3. Regular workdays 2 days a week – Monday & Thursday with 1 Saturday a month if help available
Need to schedule Saturday workdays for summer.
4. Continue work on redoing the front beds including drip lines
Focus on bed directly in front of the house this year (north)
5. Continue planting and create signs for the Michael Moore Native Medicinal Garden
Update on MMG from Laura.
6. Hold a 3rd Annual Plant and Garden Sale with the goal of adding to the sustainability of the garden (more rainwater collection) and new outside table/umbrella and or arbor for MMG. Plant sale on 6/30 from 10am-2pm.
7. Continue other fundraising activities (note cards, jewelry, sachets, bricks, Warner’s)
8. Enter the Native Plant Contest (front ½ circle, MMG?)
9. County Fair Display but no entries
10. Work with the city on revising the corner garden with the new FUTS trail and sidewalk with goal completion by September - 10th Anniversary
Board approved the plan – awaiting update from the city on when.
11. Continue articles for the Daily Sun and the blog (add article on bulbs and MMG for newspaper)
12. Update educational materials
Look at seasonal scavenger hunts (new Master Gardener?)
Update plant lists for individual garden (Loni Shapiro) - done
Update general garden info sheet (Loni Shapiro) – done
Update donor list through 2011 (Loni Shapiro) – done
Revise map of garden to include new gardens & Switzer Canyon Beds (Linda Guarino)
Complete yearly book for house on garden activities for 2011 (done) and begin 2012 (Loni Shapiro – need garden photos)
*Revise Wish List Book (all gardeners contribute to this)
Photos of MMG arbor need to be added.
13. Continue to look for bench/glider donors
II. Plans for orientations/groups
a. New Master Gardeners – requirements (Loni will schedule a talk for spring MG class)
2 new seasonal gardeners
Must attend one of 2 orientations (Thursday, April 19/Saturday, May 5)
Must work minimum of 25 hours
Needs to select a project to work on – composting, vegetables, educational materials,Summer Plant Sale, the Michael Moore Garden, or display for county fair
Drop-ins are welcome on Monday or 1 Saturday a month. Must also attend one of the orientations.
Loni has e-mailed Hattie – no date set as yet.
b. Groups – previous groups (AmeriCorp/Coconino-Flag High-NPA/CREC and consider any other requests if volunteer supervisors available.
Americorp emailed, need to contact Coconino & Flag High
III. Schedule next meeting in April.